Friday, September 11, 2015

Practice what you preach

Part 1 of this duo was all about how the ego can get caught up in your asana practice. It's time for part 2, and we're talking about practicing what you preach.

The idea we ended the previous post on, that what's important is that you know what YOU need TODAY on your mat (versus what the teacher is offering, what your neighbor is doing, what you did in a previous practice), is something that I talk about a lot in my classes. It's important to recognize when to push yourself and when to honor your limitations in anything, but especially a power vinyasa yoga class where some crazy stuff might be happening around you. I also speak from personal experience.

During college, when I was really starting to get into my asana practice (remember, asana means the physical side of yoga), I pushed through months of wrist pain. The only concession I made was wearing a brace on my wrist, but I persisted in taking every vinyasa and arm balance offering. Later I found out that I had been rounding my shoulders in my chaturangas, which strained a tendon in my shoulder but it manifested in my wrist!

Rocking the ACE bandage at a Kathryn Budig arm balance clinic.
I've always been a strong yogi, rather than a flexible one. I get, "Oh, you're so strong!" a lot. So somewhat unconsciously I associated my ego, part of my identity with my practice. When an arm balance, inversion, vinyasa is offered, I always felt/feel like I need to take it. That's my thing, so I should always do it, right? Well… As we talked about in part 1, maybe that's not the best thing for me to do that day. Just because I know I'm physically capable of doing crow or a handstand, doesn't mean I should ignore a twinge in my shoulder to do it when I took a handstand clinic the day before, for example.

Don't worry, I'm back to handstanding and running!
The last few weeks has been a huge "practice what you preach" practice. A feeling of soreness in my shoulder developed into a crick feeling in my neck developed into a spasm. So not only was I not swimming, lifting weights, or handstanding, but I was full-on propped up in bed with pillows behind me for a few days. In this instance, it was easy to take time off because I literally couldn't do anything without pain. Once I started not actively spasming, it took a lot of mental effort to not jump right back into trail running, spinning, playing on my hands, etc. I kept reminding myself that I needed time to heal. I was teaching, but not demoing. I allowed people to carry heavy things for me. On my first day feeling the closest back to normal, I was stretching in standing forward fold when I started to put my weight on my hands to feel it out, and didn't go further because it didn't feel right in my neck. This past week as I started practicing vigorous yoga again, I didn't take every vinyasa or inversion offered once my neck and shoulders started to feel tight. 

Cupping and acupuncture to ease the spasm!
During this time of treatment and recover, no less than 3 alternative medical professionals counseled me on balancing my intensity with more yin activities. My acupuncturist phrased it that "this body is our vessel for our entire life, and it's our responsibility to take care of it for the long term." Yes I love all the yong (running, spinning, power vinyasa yoga, handstanding everywhere), but I know I need to calm my intensity a bit. This will be a great time to find my softer side, and maybe focus on my flexibility and yin a bit more! 



4 comments:

  1. Good to see that blog.Good information shared..
    extra long yoga mat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece! I do believe it's vital that people listen to their bodies and find a balance between their own and other peoples expectations. However, we certainly shouldn't feel forced into behaving in a particular behaviour (over exertion) just in order to fit in with the modern day fitness fanatic stays quos. One body - care for it.

    Henry Schultz @ What Is Earthing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post & I will always be coming frequently to read more of your post. Thank you very much for your post once more.
    Aerial hammock

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    Why do men do yoga

    ReplyDelete