Thursday, June 25, 2015

My staying active "hack"


Life is busy. Seriously busy. I teach at three yoga studios, work from home, take yoga and spin classes, travel on the weekends, go trail running and skiing during the week, go to shows, have tons of dinner/lunch/wine/coffee dates... My days are super packed, and I'm single and with no kids. I can't even imagine how others fit it all in. I LOVE being busy, but it's hard to fit everything in I want to do, especially fitness sometimes.


Sometimes, life things have to be the priority, even if you don't want them to be. Sometimes you have to spend your gym hour for bank and post office errands or that trip to the DMV you've been putting off for a few months (yay, I finally got my Oregon license!). Generally speaking though, I do get some sort of activity in every day. Whether it's an all-day hike or three yoga classes or a 30-minute walk for coffee.


Some of it comes from making fitness a priority too. Ever mean to get to the gym that day, and it just never happens? If it's extra, it'll get pushed off again and again. I remember reading an article by a pro soccer player with fitness tips, and she said you have to put it in your daily schedule with permanent marker. If it's a maybe type of thing, it probably isn't going to happen. Sometimes it sucks to have to turn down that happy hour invite because you have to hit the gym. But it's gotta be a concrete part of your schedule.


That's a big reason why I love working out in the morning. If I get up and hit the gym, go to class, go for a run or a ski, then I can happily be flexible for the rest of the day for those impromptu invites. Plus, then I set myself up for the rest of the day to be happy and relaxed. If I work out later in the day, it's gotta be a set-in-stone thing, like a class I signed up for or a date with a workout buddy.


Another way I'll fit working out into my schedule is by incorporating fitness into my friend dates. I generally have a lot of friends that love being active. So a lot of times we'll go ski or hike together while chatting, or go grab that glass of wine but after a yoga class. It's a great way to not only be active, but to also bond with people.







Fitness is a lifestyle, but it's one you have to work hard for and choose every day. And have fun! ;)

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: @lizwilsonyoga 

No comments:

Post a Comment