Thursday, June 25, 2015

Go with the flow


At some point, even if you don't want to, you're going to have to go with the flow. There are just things out of our control that we have to deal with. This example is fitness/yoga related, but the concept is widespread across life.


Have you ever experienced the phenomenon of when you have a limited amount of time for a quick run you feel amazing and like you could run three times what your schedule allows but when you want/have to run a long distance your legs feel like lead and your lungs feel like fire? I hate this! It always seems to happen. It's why when I go for a run, I try to have a decent amount of time available in the event that if I'm feeling really good and I can keep running.


Have you ever made time for a fitness or yoga class with your favorite teacher and there's a sub? Yeah, it can be a bummer! You made the time in your busy schedule to get to a specific person's class and that person isn't there! Ok, it happened. You have two options: 1. Leave. 2. Stay.


I've been on the receiving end of someone leaving when they saw I was subbing a yoga class. She really really really wanted the regular teacher and had already expressed that my teaching wasn't really her jam. I get it, but it still kind of hurts. That's her issue though. I've never left a sub's class. Even if it isn't my newfound favorite teacher, style, class, you can always get a little something from the situation. The saying of our childhood still stands: it's good to try new things.


This week I subbed a Power Vinyasa class: some heat, jams, lots of flow, tons of arm balances and inversions. Stoked! The Hatha class in the other room ended up not having a teacher, so we had to combine the classes. We all had to compromise. I expressed that everyone should do what they could and to make decisions based on their bodies and practices, whether it was to amp a pose up or to modify it. The students for the Hatha class showed up expecting a slower paced, more mellow and less flow type class. Power Vinyasa students wanted…more. I think people left not-so-stoked.


But y'all know what? That's the yoga. It's being able to deal with what's in front of you, regardless of your expectations. It's not easy to accept that, but it is what it is. Hatha students had to handle more challenge. Vinyasa students had to handle some longer holds and slower pace. I had to try to walk the fine line between the two. We all had to compromise, let go of our expectations we'd held for the 75 minutes of yoga class, and go with the flow of the situation. And we survived! It may not have been what everyone expected or wanted, but we still practiced 75 minutes of yoga. You push yourself to run, even though it's a lead-leg day. Rather than be disappointed, be liberated!


IG and Twitter: @lizwilsonyoga


2 comments: