Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Harder Than It Looks...

So last week while I was at the beach, I wanted to take a pose-of-the-day picture on one of our SUP boards before going out paddling. My dad came down to the water with me to take the picture. Super quick, super easy. Or was it…


Original POD shot

After snapping it quickly (the pose of the day was wild thing), my dad asked if I was going to take my handstand of the day while on the board. (For those of you who don't know, I'm participating in a daily handstand challenge.) I thought this was absurd. I could do headstand on a paddle board, but hadn't every been able to even do forearmstand, let alone handstand. 



I tried pincha, again unsuccessfully. I was about to paddle off when my dad said, "Just give it a go." Well, I gave it a couple of kick-ups and thought it was impossible. My dad called me out, saying that I wasn't really trying. I wasn't getting my hips up high enough. So I really kicked up. And fell into the water. 

Splash!

But I got the feeling of it. So I gave it another go. And promptly fell flat on my back on the board. Ow! So after shaking away the little birds circling around my head, I tried again, but keeping in mind not to flip directly out of it. I knew if I started to go over I needed to fall off to the side. 




I didn't get a picture perfect straight up-and-down handstand, but I got a nice little hold up there, and managed not to concuss myself. Yes, Dad, you were right. 

Final result #handstand365 post

To see more handstanding and adventures, follow me on IG and Twitter: @lizwilsonyoga

1 comment:

  1. I love SUP but I haven't tried yoga on the board yet. I don't want to fall in the water...

    ReplyDelete