Sunday, December 7, 2014

A plan for every breath...

About three years ago, I arrived at MYS at 6am to teach my first official yoga class. I had my playlist, my notebook with my quote for the class, and plenty of nerves! I also had written down my plan for class. Not just general postures or areas of the body to work, but a list of each breath, pairing it with a pose or a transition. I was ready. And then no one showed up. 


Over the next couple of months, I planned each class out like this. Making lists of each breath of the class, and working hips or hamstrings or backbends, or working our way to a pinnacle pose. My classes were attended, but I hadn't found a niche yet. People in my ski town came to yoga to stretch out after skiing and mountain biking, not to work arm balances (my love!) 


I had a revelation during one such class. Our pinnacle pose was grasshopper, a super deep twisted arm balance. A prep pose for us was side crow. I had it all planned out. Except no one took side crow! I had to adapt. 



From then on, I always began each class by asking for requests and letting everyone know to please always practice what was available to them that day. I would loosely plan class, but always be able to adapt when things didn't go the way I planned. 

Over the three years of my teaching in Breckenridge, I developed a following. People came to my classes, especially hot core fusion, to work on inversions and arm balances, to do a million vinyasas, to laugh and jam out. I still modified my plan when necessary an asked for requests, but I learned not to create a rigid outline that would never go as planned. 



Off-the-mat application: when I moved to Colorado, I was taking a step away from the rigid plan I'd made for my life. I was going to go to law school, become a lawyer and be married by now to some stock broker. Cheesy, but by listening to my heart (and to the great advice from my parents), I took time to go with the flow. To ski, dance, travel, date...to just be. I've learned it's good to have a loose outline of things, to have goals, but to be able to adapt when necessary and to enjoy what's happening in the now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment