Monday, August 4, 2014

trials and tribulations of traveling...NOT!

I had the absolute pleasure this spring of spending a month in Costa Rica. I went by myself, but ended up hanging out not only with some "ticos" (locals), but also some amazing fellow Coloradans. I spent the majority of my month in Nosara, Costa Rica. As it was the beginning of the rainy season, it was a wonderfully sleepy surf town experience. Every day was spent running and doing yoga on the beach, surfing, eating local/fresh/organic fruits and veggies and fresh-caught fish, and spending time with great people. The one time I left "my" town, two of my friends from Colorado and I drove down to Dominical on a surfboard retrieval mission. Being Coloradans filled with wanderlust and traveling abroad in the same place at the same time, we had fantastic discussions on the 6-hour road trip (on Costa Rican roads, I'd like to add), especially with regards to travel...



Some people don't have the travel bug. Whether it's Texans on their horse ranch or Costa Ricans in their jungle/beach, I've met all kinds of people that have the opinion "why would I ever leave here, I have everything I want." Absolutely valid point. Some are so content with where they live that they have zero desire to leave. For me, I've always loved where I'm from, but I always felt the need to explore and travel in order to be sure that's the place for me. Leaving my hometown for college wasn't enough, and neither was studying abroad. I needed to move across the county, and spend significant amounts of time away. While returning home to alleviate homesickness pretty often, of course. And apparently moving to Colorado for a year wasn't enough either, since I've now been here for three years and am still loving being a ski bum that goes to Costa Rica for a month. I am, we all are, only small blips in this world. Leaving our comfort zone reinforces we are all a part of this great big world, and that there is oh so much of it beyond our little piece. 



The major part of our discussion during our road trip was all of the benefits of traveling. You can learn SO much about yourself when you get outside your comfort zone, not to mention accumulating incredible new experiences. I've eaten all manner of foods, made friends all over the world, and seen some of the most amazing sites (famous and secret alike). I've learned to compromise when traveling in groups as well as to be self-sufficient when traveling alone. I've learned the benefit of planning ahead as well as the benefit of P.I.B.E.-ing (play-it-by-ear-ing) things (before he calls me out, credit to Kyle for that phrase). Knowing I can handle a situation, a confidence that has in and of itself come from traveling and going outside of my comfort zone, has enabled me to let go of the reigns I was attempting to keep a tight hold of and to become a little less rigid. Reigns to what, I'm not quite sure. Life I suppose. 



We also discussed the many purposes of travel. There's a time and a place to sit on a beach with a book and drinks with toy umbrellas in them, just as there's a time and a place to backpack with one extra pair of underwear through the wilderness or a third-world country, or to be at a cheesy resort for a friend's destination wedding, or... There's no single or right way to travel and experience the world. This trip for me was about staying in a single place to get to know the area and the people, to surf, to have a little R&R after a long season. Hence I didn't get to see too much of the country, but the trip served the purpose I needed it for. I met amazing people, establishing actual relationships in town, got myself rested and healthy, and gave myself "me" time. And I even got back on a surf board!




My intention was to get on a surf board every day while I was in Costa Rica. However, on day 2 I injured my foot and was out of commission for anything beyond walking to the beach and doing core work for nearly the rest of the first week. When it came time for me to start my lessons, I had nearly talked myself out of them. I thought I could gladly spend my time running and doing yoga and reading and swimming. Why would I need to surf? However, the root of all that was that I was nervous about truly starting something new. I hadn't tried a new activity in quite a while. I didn't want to suck. Thank goodness I sucked it up and got out in the water with Adrian, my instructor-turned-friend (oh, and also rode on the back of his motorcycle for the first time!). Surfing in Costa and hanging out with the surf school guys absolutely made my trip. I now have a wonderful new activity that I'm in love with (literally am planning my next trip to get in the water ASAP), and have made some connections that I can't wait to go back down to keep up. 


All in all, my life would not be the same if I didn't travel, if I hadn't been the places and met the people and done the activities I have. They've given me the confidence I have, and the desire to, yes, set down roots and have a family and decorate a house, but also to continue seeing all the world has to offer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment